In 1951, Carr Bowie and Hugh Murrill opened Monroe Oil Company as an Amoco distributor. Their first retail station was Bennett's Amoco located in front of the office on Franklin Street. That location is still in operation today as a two bay service station complete with automotive service and full serve gasoline. Monroe Oil served local residents with heating oil and kerosene along with the farming community and their fuel needs. As the years have passed Monroe Oil has continued to grow and change with consumer demands. Service stations are now a thing of the past and convenience stores have taken their place. In the early 1980's Monroe Oil began operating convenience stores by building new locations and remodeling existing bay stations.
In 1988 Olin Furr became general manager of Monroe Oil. Mr. Murrill had developed Alzheimer's disease and Mary Hargett had taken over as President. Olin began to grow the business again and in 1996 became Vice President. In 2002 Olin purchased the business from the Murrill family and continues looking for opportunities of growth. Olin is assisted by his wife, Amy, with the daily operations and is very fortunate to have the best employees you can imagine. We currently employ 41 employees in our office and three Fill Good convenience stores in Union County. A company is only as good as its employees and we have certainly been blessed.
Monroe Oil currently has 18 locations in Union and Cabarrus counties and plans to open a new site in York County, S.C. We continue to supply heating oil, commercial fuel, farm fuel and bulk lubricants to a four county area.